Unprecedented Artistic Collaboration
The Memorial Events will be the world premier of original sacred music by South African composer Vaughn Fayle with libretto (lyrics) by Susan Johnson.
They will feature…
- Documentary photography by award-winning Carlos Javier Ortiz.
- Soprano Jade Maze and Baritone Khary Laurent.
- Chicago Community Chorus with conductor Dr. Keith Hampton.
- Johnson College Prep Choral Program.
- Youth Choir and Marimba Ensemble from Holy Cross/IHM Parish.
- Chamber Soloists of North Park University.
- Spoken Word poetry by Mama Brenda Matthews.
- Artistic Direction by Steppenwolf for Young Adults.
This collaboration combines classical and folk music styles, an African-American youth choral group from Englewood, an Hispanic chorus and marimba group from Back of the Yards, a chamber ensemble from the north side, with documentary photography, spoken word poetry, and a candlelit vigil.
The events will be artistically beautiful, creating an ethos of sacred remembrance, but more importantly, they will bring our city together across neighborhood, racial, ethnic, religious, and economic dividing lines.